On the 15-24 November 2010, 6 teachers and 62 students from Malaysia went to a student exchange programme in Japan organized by JICE .We were divided into three groups-ISHIKAWA,HYOGO and FUKUOKA .Ishaq Raqeen and I, Ee Nin ,as student representives frm SMK Sultan Ismail,Johor Bahru were in ISHIKAWA group.
1st day (14 November 2010)
At 12.10 noon ,both of us and 3 students from other schools from Johor departed and after 45 minutes, we reached KLIA .After having our lunch in Mcdonald in KLIA ,we went to Concorde inn by shuttle bus .It took us 5 minutes to reach there and we went to get our room number and measured our body temperature .After getting all settled ,we went to the ballroom to have our orientation .Later on, at 6.30 pm, we had our delicious dinner in the Melting Pot Café in the hotel .At night, again we gathered in the ballroom and had some preparation before departing .We did practice our “Endang Dance” again and again diligently .About 11 pm ,we stayed overnight in the hotel. It was pretty comfortable!!
2nd Day (15 November 2010)
After staying a night at Concorde inn KLIA and having our sumptious breakfast ,we had our orientation. The coordinators briefed us our schedule in Japan and what should we do in Japan .They just gave a brief description on our trip to Japan .It made us feeling much excited and looking forward to the fascinating trip .At 12.30 noon , we had our departure ceremony in a ballroom .We all wore our formal school uniform with the vest which teachers gave us ,waiting for the arrival of the ambassador of Japan in Malaysia .Later on ,after the speech ,we had our buffet-style lunch in the ballroom. Having the rare opportunity to eat with the ambassador , we were delighted and proud. We rested after the party ended .At 6.00pm,we were asked to checked out and dinned in the same place as the previous day .About 7.30pm,we left and went to KLIA ,checking in and waiting for our flight .No doubt that we all were super duple excited and looked forward for the trip so much .Our flight departed at 11.30pm.We bidded farewell with the people- in- charge and went off to Japan. Here are the pictures in KLIA before we checked in.
3rd Day(16 November)
After 7 hours flight , finally we reached at Narita Airport , Tokyo .We all were so tired and exhausted .We were ushered to a waiting tour bus and headed to Hotel East 21 in Tokyo .This hotel is four- star- rated and is magnificent than expected.
After taking sufficient rest, we went to KSBC to have orientation. When we reached the centre, orientation started from the welcoming speech by the president of JICE .The first word which he spoke was Yokoso Japan(Welcome to Japan) and I found it was the warmest greeting .At 3.00pm,we had our group orientation to discuss the schedule in Ishikawa. Knowing we were all tired , our good-hearted coordinators just briefed us our schedule and yet jested with us.
It was almost dark when the time was just 3.30pm.Compared to Malaysia ,it was absolutely different .We had a sight-seeing in Tokyo street .Wow!I was so surprised with the gorgeous view of the bustling street at night .After taking a few photos, we went to the Restoran Jom Makan in a shopping mall to enjoy our own country’s food .However ,it tasted differently in Japan and of course was tasty!
4th day (17 November 2010)
The jarring noise of the telephone of the hotel made me awake! It was the morning call and I was surprised that even the morning call in Japan was slightly different with Malaysia .At 6.00am, we went down to the third floor to enjoy our breakfast .Before going into the “Eitai” ,our coordinator helped us to measure our body temperature . After finishing our breakfast ,we straight away headed to the same centre again as yesterday .Well ,the purpose of going to the same place was different this time !We were here to know Japanese’s culture and Japan and were given speech by Mr .Murai Takeshi. It was enlightening ,making us to gain avalanche of knowledge about Japan .About 11.30pm,we went back to the hotel again to get ready to go to the institute animation Yoyogi which was quite famous there .Having a plate of mouth-watering spaghetti and a piece of chocolate cake as our dessert ,we were full up .Then ,after 30 minutes ,we reached there .The first sight which I saw was the cute animation-One Piece holding a Malaysia flag .Their drawing was really impressing .I listened carefully to what the principal here said and realized that this institute was not only founded in Tokyo, but also in Osaka ,Fukuoka ,Yokohama and in Kanazawa .After that, we were divided into two groups which were animation group and comics group .As one of the member of the comics group ,we learned a lot of tips to draw inspiring comics to attract readers and fans from all around the world .The comics teacher told us we could only color the comics nicely by using a special pen which was called as COPIC .To my amazement ,I was interviewed by the reporter in Japan .We left when it was 4.00pm.It was freezing cold and the sky become darker .We headed to Lalaport Toyosu Shopping Centre in Tokyo to enjoy our dinner which was Indonesia food .Besides enjoying tasty food ,we had the chance to shop there even though the things there costed a bomb for us .After staying there about 1 hour ,we went back to hotel by bus to have some rest.
5th day (18 November 2010)
As usual at 6.15am , the morning call from the hotel again made me waking up. I was so reluctant to wake up as today was the day which we were leaving Tokyo .Going to have our tasty breakfast ,we left our suitcase in the third floor .At 8.15am,we all gathered and it was time to say goodbye to Tokyo and our other group friends .It took us 45 minutes to reach Haneda airport. Our flight to Komatsu departed at 10.15am.On the airplane ,we were served well by the stewardess even though we were just teens .At 11.15am,the flight landed and we claimed our luggage .It was pretty heavy to me, as I had brought 6 days clothes.When I stepped out from the airport in Komatsu ,I felt the cool breeze whipping my face ,making me to shiver. It was really colder as expected !Our bus arrived and we all boarded the bus .On the way to KIA(Komatsu International Association),I saw the beautiful autumn scenary .Mostly the leaves turned brownish and there were lots of paddy fields.
We had our simple lunch at KIA and to my surprise ,people there who were friendly taught us how to make shapes for balloon as perhaps they wanted to get closer with us.How thoughtful they were!
After having wonderful time there ,we headed to JAIST(Japan Advanced Institute of Science&Technology). We visited the enormous library and their laboratories which were well- facilitated with the high technology apparatus. About 5.00pm,we left JAIST and now it was the time that we were all excited and looked forward to our homestay programme.
At 6.30pm,we met our parents and introduced ourselves to them .My face turned red as I felt extremely shy when I was asked to introduce myself in Japanese.”Watashi no namae wa Teo Ee Nin des.”My two friends and I were delighted to meet our mother who was pretty and young .She brought us back to her home and kept talking to us to break the ice between her and us .At night ,after settling down and putting our luggages to our new room ,we had our sumptuous dinner at home .This was the first time I tried “omiyaki” which was like a pancake and delicious .After having dinner ,we visited their house thoroughly and it was pretty big .We chatted for nearly 2 hours and I gave them some souvenirs from Malaysia .They appreciated so much ,making me feel the warmth from my foster family.
6th day (19 November 2010)
This was the nicest sleep since I came to Japan.Probably because I was used to live at home, not hotel .As we had programme later on ,we woke up early at 7.15am and came down to have our home-made breakfast .Opening the slide of the living room ,I could smell of tasty food. Of course I ate it with relishly .I love my okasan(mum)’s cooking!We had to wear our formal school uniform ,as we were going to meet a famous celebrity-the mayor of Komatsu.
We headed to restoran to enjoy the British cuisine .Then ,we headed to Komatsu high school .Before going into the school ,we were asked to take off our shoes and wear the slippers that was given .This was the difference between Malaysia and Japan .Walking around the school by wearing the slippers ,I felt weird but it was a nice experience.The floor was clean ,windows were not dusty at all, apparatus in both in gymnasium and laboratories were arranged orderly .In the conference hall, principal of the school gave us a brief speech about Komatsu High School .Besides that ,high school students’ performance intrigued us .Even though their performance only lasted for a few minutes ,we really enjoyed ourselves in the melody .After all ,we were divided into 5 groups to go into their classes to teach them Malaysia language and also to communicate with Japanese teens. Teaching the students here wasn’t a tough job as they were all fast learners .However, to me ,it was not an easy-peazy task to learn Japanese .I shared my interests and introduced Malaysia to them. They seemed to be attracted by the beauty of Malaysia .After 30 minutes communicating with students who were all friendly ,we went back to the hall again and now we were divided into two groups to participate in their cocuricular activities .Firstly, I went to watch the tea ceremony which was performed by the tea ceremony club members. I was so surprised that there was a tea ceremony club .How a fascinating tea ceremony I had ever had !Later,we went to learn how to make Ikebana .It was not that easy! Creativity and skills were used to make a good Ikebana-flower arranging .We visited their baseball, volleyball and basketball court. At 5.15pm, we went back to KIA ,waiting for my parents .My mum drove us back home and we had our dinner .But the dinner was kind of special as my mum taught us how to do TEMPURA .It was tasty!
7th day (20 November2010)
We woke up at 9.30.Perhaps this was the latest I woke up as there were no activities going on in the morning .After having our breakfast ,we were all excited, waiting for our coordinators and teachers to come .When they arrived ,we opened our arms to welcome them and greeted them .My mum was busy to show them her big house .Haha !She was so happy when they came to visit her mansion .At 10.30,after they had some tea ,they went back and yet it was the time for us to get ready to go to KIA .My family and I headed to Kia and when we reached there ,what we saw was the crowd busying preparing food .They had already started to make “takoyaki” which was the food I liked the most .We all added the ingredients that had already been prepared and I took many pictures with my family blissfully .I got the rare opportunity to make “temaki sushi” on my own .Of course it tasted delicious and palatable .After fulling up our stomach ,I wore on the Kimono which was the traditional costume .A kind woman helped me to wear on and it was heavy and tight. But it was all worth it! One of the Japanese told me that I looked like a Japanese .I was almost in the seventh heaven!I took a lot of pictures with my friends and teachers .Boys wore on Yukata which made them look more like Samurais. After that, my mum brought me and my friends to shop in the nearby shopping mall. Compared to Tokyo ,things here were cheaper .We went home and had our dinner .We took a rest early as we were exhausted for being fun in the KIA.
8th Day (21 November 2010)
Yeah !There was no activities today .I was free and what really made me got excited was my family was going to bring me for outing .I woke up early unexpectedly .It seemed that “Outing” this word really brought many good consequences to me .After having my lovely breakfast which was Yakisoba and a piece of bread, I changed and waited for my family to get prepared .My heart sank into deep seas when the thought of the last day staying at their home came across my mind. Time fled rapidly as I had not realized today was Sunday .After getting ready, I sat on the car. We all were heading to Kanazawa , the capital city of Komatsu .On the way to Kanazawa, we passed by the sea of Japan .It was pretty nice. About 9.30 am ,we had reached the busy city. After my dad parked his car ,we walked to the first destination-Ninja temple .When I first heard the word ”Ninja” ,I was so shocked and thought there were many real ninjas in the ancient time .How wrong I was!The temple was called as Ninja Temple because there were many pitfalls and tricks to defend the Kanazawa castle in the ancient time .We visited the temple for nearly 1 and half hours and later on we headed to have lunch .We ate” Udon” as our lunch in a big shopping mall and then we shopped also. I bought a lot of souvenirs for my friends and teachers even though they costed me arms and legs .Having a great time in the shopping mall, my parents also gave us a treat-Ice cream which was kind of special and we couldn’t find in Malaysia. About 3.00pm, we went back home. As we all were so tired ,we slept in the car during the journey back to home .After packing everything, we headed to the nearby hotel-Hotel Komatsu Green. It was the time for us to get ready for the farewell party with our foster parents .I changed into my ‘Baju Kurung’ .Well! At 5.00pm, we all gathered in te ballroom, including our foster parents. Sitting besides my mother, I felt grieved. Perhaps this was the last time I saw them .Everything in the party went on smoothly and they were delighted when we performed “Endang dance” in front of them .After dancing ,I, as a student representive, I gave speech and my speech had touched many kind souls. All ended at 7.00pm.It was time to say goodbye to our parents .Everyone shed tears , including me. I hugged all my family members and cried bitterly to say goodbye to them .I was so touched as they still gave us presents even though they had prepared everything well for us .I really love the homestay programme very much and enjoyed it to the fullest . We took a rest and at 8.30pm, teacher gave us an introduction about the workshop tomorrow .At 9.30pm,we went back to sleep.
9th Day (22 November 2010)
We woke up at 7.15 morning and had our breakfast as usual in the café in the lobby .We all gathered in the lobby ,waiting for the arrival of the bus .We headed to elementary school Araya in Komatsu .When we arrived there ,we were welcomed by the principal and teachers .After the principal and my teacher gave speech ,we were given a hot green tea by children who were all wearing Kimono .To avoid over congestion in the room ,we were divided into two groups to see the beauty of the ceramics .About 10.30am,we went to the gymnasium .The interaction started with the speech which was given by a student representive from the elementary school in English .The students here taught us to play traditional games such as “take-tombo” ,”ayatori” ,”kami-hikoki” and “origami” then. They were all interesting and the game I loved it much was “ayatori “.I only needed a long thread to play this game. After that ,Fadli as the student representive gave speech too .The students from the sports club performed and then some of the cherubic children performed ”yosakai” dance .What made me impressed was they were willing to teach us their dance .Even though we danced idioitically, we enjoyed dancing to the fullest .It was our turn to perform and we also asked the students to dance along with us .At 12.00 noon ,we had to change our clothes .We had our lunch with the young children here .Besides having lunch ,we communicated with them in a nice and caring way .Of course, they were so friendly and soft-spoken .I felt pleased and contented when I looked the way they ate and talked .After having lunch, we were asked to clean the school .Syukri and I were in the same group and we helped out in cleaning the gymnasium .I felt guilty and ashamed on myself with their efficiency of doing chores .In Malaysia,there were many children and youths did not how to do chores.The training in Japan was really good .At 1.30pm,we left the school and headed to zoo in Ishikawa .It was slightly different with the zoo in Malaysia ,as we could see capybara and toki bird .These two creatures were only found in Japan. We really had a fabulous time here. My stomach started to growl as it was not enough for me to have the same amount of food with the young children .We took off and went to KIA to have our workshop .We were divided into three groups .Each group had to share their perspectives on their Japan trip. After doing presentation in pointing out our opinions about the trip, teachers praised us and we were so delighted .We had our dinner in a restoran .The day ended and yet tomorrow was the last day in Ishikawa.
Day 9(23 November 2010)
As we all were complaining that we hadn’t purchased enough souvenirs ,we had to wake up early and had our breakfast in the usual place .Two hours before the flight,we reached there and after all were settled ,we shopped in the Komatsu Airport .At 10.20am,our flight took off and after an hour, we safely reached Haneda Airport. As my coordinators knew our stomach was almost empty, we were brought to have our lunch in a shopping mall in Tokyo .The indian food was tasty and palatable even though it was a bit different with the Indian food in Malaysia .The shopping mall was crowded as it was located in the centre of Tokyo. After we were all fulled, we checked in .At 3.00pm,we gathered in the third floor, preparing to head to KSBC to have our important workshop in Tokyo .During the two hours ,I really gained a lot about Japan.Their presentation was all about their observations and differences with our country .They aired their opinions well. Mostly, they talked about the diversity of cultures and education. We were all worn out after the presentation and later on we headed to restoran ”It’s Vegetable” .As we were hungry like hell, we ate a lot of the food.At7.15pm,we left and were back to hotel .Packing and shopping in the Summit, I felt sorrowful as this was the last day in Japan.
Day 10(24 November 2010)
As usual, morning call made us awake. We sent our big luggage to third floor. We had our last breakfast in Japan and felt reluctant to leave the gorgeous hotel and lovely Japan .At 7.45 am ,we headed to Narita Airport .It took us one and half hours to reach there. We checked in and our flight departed at 11.30 am .Goodbye ,Japan !When I was aboard ,stewardess welcomed us with open arms .After having a delicious lunch in the airplane ,I fell asleep .After 7- hours journey ,finally I reached Malaysia. When I first stepped in Kl,it was hot in Malaysia. We had our dinner in Concorde inn KLIA and then it was our free time.
PS :Thanks to my school and all the teachers who gave me the chance to participate in this exchange programme in Japan .I really had a great time there and this was really a nice experience for me to know other country’s culture.
Prepared by Teo Ee Nin,4 Cerdik(2010)
No comments:
Post a Comment